Chewy quinoa tossed with crunchy vegetables and juicy chicken. This salad is the perfect summer meal.
This is one of my favourite summer salads. It is a complete meal because of the quinoa and black beans. They provide a complete protein and are an excellent source of iron. The chewy quinoa, juicy chicken and crunchy vegetables all compliment one another. It is a perfect salad for any summer pot luck or gathering.
While the quinoa is cooling, make the rest of the salad. Chop the onion and red pepper. Shred the carrots. Cut broccoli into bite sized pieces. If you want, I like to julienne or shred the broccoli stems and add them to the salad as well. Drain and rinse the black beans. Thaw the frozen corn. Add all salad ingredients to a large bowl and toss well. Add cumin, coriander and lime juice and toss again. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cans of chicken, drained
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1/2 cup broccoli stems, julienne, if desired
- 2 cups black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small saucepan, add quinoa, paprika, minced garlic and water. Bring to a boil and simmer on low for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Add all salad ingredients to a large bowl and toss well.
- Add cumin, coriander and lime juice and toss again.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.