A light summer salad with chewy quinoa, sweet dates, crunchy red peppers, and tangy feta cheese. Drizzled with a lemon juice, honey and olive oil dressing. You will be have doubles for sure!
I love salad. I probably say that every salad is my favourite. But really, they probably are all my favourites. 🙂 There is so much to like; crunchy vegetables, sweet dried fruit, chewy grains… And each one has its own unique taste.
This quinoa feta cheese salad is wonderful. Chewy quinoa combines with crunchy red peppers, zucchini, and onion, tangy feta cheese and sweet dates. I have served it with and without lettuce and it is amazing either way. You choose how you want to try it.
I really like the quinoa in the salad. I like the taste of quinoa but the nutritional benefits are also not to be ignored. Quinoa contains large amounts of flavonoids; potent plant antioxidants with numerous health benefits. Quinoa is high in protein compared to most plant foods and contains all the essential amino acids that we need. If you want to read more about the health benefits of quinoa, see my post here.
So, making this healthy, delicious salad… As with all salads, I really don’t measure the amount for each ingredient. You know what you like and you adjust to fit your tastes. So use the measurements in the recipe more as a guideline then something to be strictly followed.
Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Set aside and cool before using in the salad. It is important to cool so the feta cheese doesn’t melt.
While the quinoa is cooling, you can make the rest of the salad.
In a medium serving bowl, combine all the salad ingredients; red pepper, zucchini, onion, dates, and feta cheese.
In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients. Whisk to combine. Pour over the salad before serving.
You can also try serving over a bed of spring greens.
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Set aside and cool before using in the salad. It is important to cool so the feta cheese doesn't melt.
- In a medium serving bowl, combine all the salad ingredients. Toss well.
- Add cooled quinoa and toss again.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk well.
- Add dressing to salad before serving and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.
- This salad tastes great on a bed of spring greens.