A chewy granola bar made with oats, flax, sweet potato, raisins, and chocolate chips. These are great for wrapping up as individual portions to eat on the go.
Two things that I am always making are muffins and granola bars. With a busy family, kids activities, and school snacks, it seems that I am always in need of something easy to throw in a bag before heading out the door. These granola bars are prefect. They are full of healthy ingredients and taste great. A tip for making these, cook the sweet potato first in the microwave for about 5 – 7 minutes. Cut it open and let it cool. If you add the hot sweet potato to the granola mix it will melt the chocolate chips.
In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, ground flax seed, cinnamon, raisins and chocolate chips. Mix well.
In another bowl, combine the cooked mashed sweet potato, egg, oil, honey, and vanilla extract. Beat with a fork to combine all ingredients.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. Scrape the mixture into a parchment lined baking dish and using the back of a spoon spread the mixture evenly to the edges of the pan. Press firmly into the pan. You want to make sure it is packed otherwise the bars may crumble when you try cutting them.
Bake at 350F for 20 – 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Once cool, lift the granola bar slab from the pan and place on a cutting board. Cut into granola bars by pressing down using a sharp knife. Try not the “saw”. Store in an air tight container.
- 2 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sweet potato, cooked and mashed
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper, leaving enough of an overhang to lift out the bars after baking.
- In a large bowl combine oats, raisins, chocolate chips, flour, flax seed, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl stir together the mashed sweet potato, honey, oil, egg, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and mix well.
- Spread the granola mixture evenly to the edges of the prepared 9x13 pan. Press firmly to pack it tight.
- Bake for 25 minutes and 325F.
- Remove from oven and lift the bars from the pan to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cut bars once cool but pressing down with a sharp knife.
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.