A Mexican inspired salad that is rich in fibre and protein. It’s a colourful, tasty, healthy addition to your supper table.
I think this is one of the best salads to make just for all the colours in it. It’s a beautiful meal to serve. And delicious on top of it! I don’t measure any of the vegetables when I make this salad (or any salad really), I put in the amount for each that I think looks good. I know that my family loves onions but not so much red peppers so I adjust for what works for us. The recipe below has amounts but really they are just suggestions, feel free to adjust to suit you needs.
First you will want to roast the sweet potato and cook the quinoa so they can cool while you make the rest of the salad.
To make the rest of the salad, toss together the rest of the salad ingredients is a large bowl. (opps this picture doesn’t show the black beans)
Once the sweet potato and quinoa has cooled add it to the bowl and give it another toss.
For dressing I usually use my standard buttermilk dressing. It has a bit of tang with the vinegar but it really lets the flavour of the salad shine through.
Serve with some tortilla chips and salsa. Delicious!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 15oz can black beans, drain and rinse
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Roast the sweet potatoes by spreading them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Roast for 30 minutes, turning at 15 minutes.
- Remove for oven and cool.
- Add remaining salad ingredients to a large bowl. Toss.
- Add cooled sweet potatoes and toss gently.
- Place a bed of lettuce on a serving plate. Top with salad.
- Serve with tortilla chips if desired.
- For a salad dressing you could try,
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon each sugar and vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add ingredients to a small bowl and whisk well.