This meal has everything! Yummy vegetables, black beans for iron and fibre, and quinoa for protein. It can be served on its on or on a hamburger bun. Either way a delicious nutritious complete meal.
This is one of the easiest meals that I love making. It comes together super fast. It has loads of good things in it, tons of veggies, beans, and quinoa. My kids love items there’s almost never any leftovers, even though I double the recipe!!
Next add some chopped tomatoes and the seasonings; ketchup, cumin, chilli powder, vinegar, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
In a small sauce pan, cook the quinoa. For 1 cup of cooked quinoa, you will add 1/2 cup of dry quinoa and 1 cup of water to the sauce pan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 mins. Remove for heat and let stand until ready to use.
Once the vegetables are cooked add the cooked ground beef and a can of black beans (be sure to drain and rinse before). Stir and add cooked quinoa. Heat through. Serve on its own, with a slice of bread, or on a hamburger bun.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 large zucchini, shredded
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (14oz) can black beans
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hamburger buns or bread for serving, if desired
- Cook the quinoa. In a small saucepan combine 1/2 cup of quinoa and 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 mins. Turn off and remove from heat.
- In a large non stick skillet on medium high heat cook ground beef, onion, celery, carrots, zucchini, and garlic. Cook until the beef is no longer pink and the vegetables are soft.
- Add the tomatoes, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, chilli powder, and cumin. Stir well and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked black beans, and cooked quinoa. Heat through.
- Serve on hamburger buns, on its own or with a slice of bread.