A wonderful summer salad, perfect for barbecues or picnics.
This salad is so easy to make and has a great light summer flavour. It is one of my kids favourite salads. It’s a good thing the recipe makes a large salad because they always have seconds! I love using the fully cooked ham in the salad. It adds a great flavour and makes preparing the salad super fast and easy. If you have any leftover ham, say from a holiday meal, that would work great in the salad as well.
As with most salads, feel free to make this one your own. Add additional vegetables such as celery, bell pepper, zucchini, or use chicken or bacon instead of ham. Try cubed cheese instead of shredded or slice the carrots. Spice up the dressing by adding ranch dressing spices – garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, dill, parsley, salt and pepper. So many ways you can modify this fantastic salad to make it work for you.
Combined all ingredients in a large bowl and toss well. Refrigerate until ready to use. Toss with creamy buttermilk dressing before serving. This salad will keep for 1-2 days in the refrigerator.
- 3 cups dry shell pasta
- 2 cups full cooked ham, cubed
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese, mozzarella or cheddar
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside to cool completely before combining in the salad.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the vegetables and shred your cheese.
- Combined all ingredients in a large bowl and toss well. Refrigerate until ready to use. Toss with creamy buttermilk dressing before serving. This salad will keep for 1-2 days in the refrigerator.