A favourite lasagna recipe. It has a rich meaty vegetable sauce layer and a gooey cheese layer. Delicious!
Lasagna. Need I say more… 🙂 Lasagna has been a favourite food of mine since I was a kid. Of course I always add a few more vegetables to my meat sauce then is considered ‘classic’ or ‘traditional’. A few more vegetables is never a bad thing, right?
This time around I made the meat sauce slightly different. My usual recipe for lasagna, (which by the way, is fantastic), I don’t cook the sauce ahead of time. I add store bought pasta sauce to help get the rich flavour. It works great as it goes together super quick and tastes great. I have a post here for the recipe. But today I had some extra time, (whoa, what??!!) and I wanted to try cooking the sauce from scratch and not use store bought sauce at all. It takes a bit more time in that you have to simmer the sauce for over an hour, but the prep time is the same. I really like how the meat sauce turned out. It was very rich and flavourful. When I have time, this will be the recipe I use.
Anyway, on to the recipe.
For the meat sauce:
In a large pot, cook onions, carrots, zucchini, and garlic. Note, I always have cooked ground beef on hand frozen so I don’t need to cook it with the onion. If you don’t have any pre cooked, you’ll want to add the ground beef to the pot with the vegetables and cook until it is no longer pink. Once cooked, add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato pasta and spices. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours stir occasionally. Once cooked add spinach either fresh or frozen. Stir well.
For the cheese layer:
In a large add cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, and eggs. Stir until combined.
For the noodles:
If you want to use no cook noodles then they can be used right from the box. If not, cook the noodles according to the instructions on the box.
Spread 1/3 of the meat sauce over the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan. Top with noodles.
Next, spread half the cheese mixture over the noodles.
Repeat ending with meat sauce on the top. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese if desired.
Cover the lasagna with foil and bake for 30 – 40 minutes at 350F. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes. Remove form the oven and let stand for about 15 minutes before serving.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion. diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 (796ml) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (680ml) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 - 14 lasagna noodles
- 3 (500g) tubs cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- In a large pot, cook the ground beef, onion, and garlic until the beef is no longer pink.
- Add the shredded carrots and zucchini. Cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and water. Stir. Add the sugar, basil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions
- In a medium bowl combine the cottage cheese, eggs, and mozzarella cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To assemble, spread 1/3 of the meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Arrange a layer of noodles over the sauce. Spread 1/2 of the cheese mixture over the noodles. Add another layer of noodles followed by 1/3 of the meat mixture, noodles, rest of the cheese mixture, noodles, and the remaining meat mixture.
- Top with more shredded mozzarella cheese if desired.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.