A perfectly spiced pumpkin oatmeal muffin. These muffins are made with honey (not sugar) and buttermilk (not oil) so they are super healthy.
I just love the look of these muffins! They just look so delicious. The oats add a nice texture while the pumpkin purée gives a wonderful rich orange colour. And they taste as good as they look; chewy oats, moist pumpkin, sweet chocolate, a touch of honey and the perfect balance of pumpkin pie spice. I made them as mini muffins for an easy portable snack but they can be made as regular size for a fast filling breakfast.
Bake at 350F. For regular cups bake 20 minutes. For mini cups bake 10 minutes. Allow muffins to cool in pan for 5-10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- 1 cup oats, quick cooking or old-fashioned
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 12 muffin cups or 24 mini muffin cups.
- In a large bowl combine oats, flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cloves and chocolate chips.
- In another bowl combine buttermilk, egg, pumpkin purée and honey. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the oat mixture and sit until just moist; don't over stir.
- Spoon into 12 greased regular muffin cups or 24 mini cups. Fill about 3/4's full.
- Bake at 350F. For regular cups bake 20 minutes. For mini cups bake 10 minutes.
- Allow muffins to cool in pan for 5-10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.