Sweet bananas and carrots mixed with chewy oats make a delightfully delicious muffin. Topped with a light cream cheese frosting, these muffins are almost to go to be true.
It was a cool start to the day today. The kind of day where you want to stay inside and do some baking to warm you up and help you get ready for the day.
The kids were begging for pancakes. We haven’t had them in a long time so I gave in and made their favourite – whole wheat pancakes. But I wasn’t really feeling the pancake love this morning. I was in the mood for something different. Muffins. I kinda really wanted to make muffins. I’ve had a recipe for carrot banana loaf from Ambitious Kitchen pined in Pinterest for awhile now but for some reason I haven’t made it. Why have I never tried these two ingredients together before? Carrot muffins and banana muffins are both delicious, together, just as delicious! At first I didn’t make the cream cheese frosting because, well I just felt like that would be like having dessert for breakfast. But, later in the day I did make the frosting and served the muffins for dessert. The kids were excited to have “cupcakes”. 🙂
I did modify the recipe to suit my tastes, I hope that you enjoy these muffins as much as I did.
In a large, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and cinnamon. Mix well.
In a medium bowl, combine the mashed banana, shredded carrots, buttermilk, eggs, oil and vanilla. Beat well to combine. Just a few notes here; make sure the bananas are very ripe. A very ripe banana is much sweeter then a just ripe banana. So make sure you have lots of brown spots on your bananas. Also, I like to finely shred the carrots as they add moisture to the muffins.
Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just moistened. Don’t over stir.
Divide evenly between 12 greased muffin cups. Bake 350F for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove from cup and cool completely on a wire rack.
If you want to make the Cream Cheese Frosting for the muffins
1/3 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Beat the ingredients together until smooth. Spread over cooled muffins.
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup mashed, very ripe banana (2 medium bananas)
- 1 cup carrots, finely shredded (2 small carrots)
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 12 muffin cups.
- In a large, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and cinnamon. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mashed banana, shredded carrots, buttermilk, eggs, oil and vanilla. Beat well to combine.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just moistened. Don't over stir.
- Divide batter evenly, filling each cup about 3/4's full.
- Bake 20 minutes or until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Beat the ingredients together until smooth. Spread over cooled muffins.