These homemade turtles will be your first choice for both you and your guests! Made with pretzels, chocolate and caramel how can it not be mouthwateringly tasty!
On the 2nd day of Christmas.
I love pretzels so when I found this super easy recipe for homemade turtles with pretzels I had to try it. I tried two different kinds of caramels. I liked the softer Milk Chocolate Caramel melts from Superstore the best, my husband liked the Riesen caramels — each to his own! If you have a favourite chocolate covered caramel use it in this recipe!
Start by lining a cookie sheet with parchment paper and placing the pretzels on it. I cut each of the caramels crosswise in half as they were quite large. I did try one as a whole but I found it to be just a bit to big.
Place the caramel on top of a pretzel and bake in the oven at 300 for 4 minutes. You want the caramel to soften so you can push a pecan into it immediately after you remove them from the oven. They must cool completely on the cookie sheet before you move them. I ended up putting my cookie sheet outside to speed up the cooling process as it was a cold day and I was not willing to wait to try them!
- chocolate covered caramels
- whole pecans
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place pretzels on cookie sheet.
- Cut caramels crosswise in half and place cut side up on a pretzel.
- Bake for 4 minutes at 300.
- Remove from oven and immediately gently push a pecan in the soft caramel. Cool completely before removing from cookie sheet.