A healthy and flavourful butternut squash soup full of vegetables. So tasty and easy it’s sure to be a favourite in your house.
I love soup!! Especially on a fall day when the weather is cool. There’s nothing like a bowl of delicious soup to warm you up. Today was cool and I was in the mood for soup. One of the staple soup recipes in my house is this butternut squash soup. It’s full of flavour and full of vegetables and so easy to make. It comes together so quickly and in almost no time I have a big pot of warm soup. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
I start by gathering all the vegetables and peeling and chopping them. Once that’s done I toss everything but the squash into a big pot. Cook on medium heat for about 5 – 10 mins or until they are tender crisp.
Now add the butternut squash to the post and the broth, curry, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil and simmer until the vegetables are soft. Stir occasionally. Turn off the heat and using an immersion blender, purée the soup. It will be thick.
Once the soup is puréed, stir in the milk and serve warm.
I like to serve this soup with a thick slice of pumpernickel bread. My kids think it’s great for dipping in the soup. Because it’s thick, they can get a nice “scoop” using the bread.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 - 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, and chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon curry
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup whole milk
- melt butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, potato, and garlic. Cook until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the squash, broth, curry, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until all the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. soup will be thick.
- Stir in the milk. Serve hot.