A delicious soup with lots vegetables and homemade meatballs.
This was the first time I made this soup. Normally I shy away from recipes that have meatballs as I usually just don’t have the time to make them. It’s hard to watch kids while you have your hands in a bowl of raw ground beef! But we had company visiting this week so I decided that this would be a perfect chance to try something new.
Making your own meatballs is actually very easy. Basically all the ingredients get mixed together in a large bowl. Then you just form the mixture into meatballs and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Easy just takes some time. Make sure you don’t make the meatballs to large. I made them about the size of a golf ball but I think next time I’ll reduce the size to closer to a ping pong ball. They would be more bite sized. I always precook meatballs before using them in any meal as I’m a bit paranoid when it comes to cooking meats. This recipe makes quite a few meatballs. If you want, freeze half to use later.
Once the meatballs are made and cooking you can make the soup.
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots, zucchini and cook until vegetables are tender about 7 – 10 minutes. Add potatoes and cook another 5 – 7 minutes.
Add oregano, cumin, chili powder, salsa and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Add cooked meatballs, corn and black beans and heat through.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (or 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, cubed
- 1 can (27 oz/796 ml) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add meatball ingredients to a large bowl. Using your hands mix until ingredients are just incorporated.
- Form the mixture into meatballs about 1 inch in diameter.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. This yields approximately 40 - 45 meatballs
- Cook in a preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
- If you want, freeze half to use later.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, carrots, zucchini and cook until vegetables are tender about 7 - 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, oregano, cumin, chili powder, salsa and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for another 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add cooked meatballs, corn and black beans and heat through.