This recipe is so tasty! Very easy to make and looks fantastic when served, you will impress your family with this one!
So a friend of mine posted this recipe recently and it looked so good I had to try it. It is adapted from the Campbells website http://cookwithcampbells.ca Chicken & Quinoa Taco Bowls.
So, as I do with most recipes, I quickly read the ingredients and instructions and then worked from memory. This recipe is so easy though that it doesn’t matter that I tend to improvise!
Most recipes do not have enough vegetables so I will always add my standards of carrots and zucchini along with a pepper and onion. Follow the link if you want to read the original recipe, below is how I made this dish.
Cook the quinoa in a rice cooker (or on the stove top in a small pot).
While the quinoa is cooking add the oil, onion, pepper, carrots and zucchini in a small pan. Cook until the vegetables at medium high heat until they are tender crisp. Add the chili pepper and cumin to the vegetables. I like to have the vegetables almost completely cooked because I know that when I add the can of soup it will thicken quickly and I don’t want it to stick to the bottom of the pan.
Once the vegetables are almost completely cooked, add the can of cream of chicken soup. Turn the temperature to low and allow to cook.
In a separate pan, cook the chicken. I added a sprinkle of chili powder and a sprinkle of cumin.
While the chicken is cooking, slice a couple of ripe avocados and chop up two ripe tomatoes. Drain and rinse the black peppers and pour into a bowl. Slice the lettuce into thin strips and put in a dish to serve.
Just before adding the chicken to the vegetables, stir in the sour cream, add the chicken and stir.
Serve with quinoa and a dollop of salsa.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water for cooking the quinoa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups of lettuce, sliced
- 1 lb of chicken, cubed
- 2 tsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp of cumin
- In a pot or rice cooker, cook the quinoa with the water.
- In a small pan, add oil, onion, carrots, pepper and zucchini. Add the chili powder and the cumin. Cook the vegetables on medium high heat.
- Add the chicken soup after the vegetables are cooked. Simmer on low heat.
- In a separate pan, add cubed chicken and a sprinkle of the chili powder and cumin. Cook completely.
- Add the sour cream and cooked chicken and stir.
- Arrange the sliced avocado and chopped tomatoes on a plate. Pour drained and rinsed black beans into a small bowl, and place sliced lettuce in a dish.
- To serve place cooked quinoa on a plate, add the chicken vegetable mixture, lettuce, beans, avocado, tomatoes and salsa.
- This recipe would also be great with fresh cilantro.