These are wonderful paired with a soup or stew! You can also enjoy one with jam or honey.
This biscuit recipe came from my mom. It is very easy to prepare and is so quick that you can start from scratch and have them ready by the time your soup is cooked!
Add milk and egg and stir with a fork. The dough will not completely form a ball, you will have to use your hands to knead the dough a bit to form a ball. You will not need to knead the dough too much, two or three times should be enough.
Once you have a ball, place it onto parchment paper and press it flat with your hands. Now, use a rolling pin to flatten the dough to about 1/2 inch thick. Use a cup (I used one of my daughters cups from Ikea — worked really well) or a cookie cutter to cut out your biscuits.
Use a second piece of parchment paper to line your cookie sheets. Place your biscuits on the sheet, they can be fairly close together as biscuits will rise upwards instead of spreading out like cookies.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- Combine flour and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- Cut in butter with a pastry cutter, the mixture will resemble fine crumbs.
- Add buttermilk and egg and stir with a fork.
- Roll dough out on parchment paper to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut out biscuits with a cookie cutter.
- Bake in oven at 425 for 10 - 14 minutes until golden brown.