A super quick and easy winter warming soup.
This tomato recipe is so quick and easy. I used tomatoes that I canned from our garden plus a few that I had ripening on the counter. This recipe will also work if you have fresh tomatoes (or even store bought canned tomatoes!). To increase the tomato flavour, I added half a can of tomato paste mixed with ¾ of a cup of water.
Begin by adding the olive oil to your pot on medium low heat. To this, add your diced onion and allow to soften for 2 minutes. While the onion is cooking, peel and chop the carrots and potatoes. You will be pureeing this soup so if the pieces are larger than what you would normally use in a soup that is fine (as long as your blender or hand mixer will be able to puree them). Add in the canned tomatoes and stir.
Note: If you are using fresh tomatoes, you will probably need about 5 large tomatoes. I leave the skins on but you can peel the tomatoes if you like. There is really no easy way to peel a tomato. I have found that if you freeze the tomato first, then place them in boiling water for 3 – 4 minutes the peel is easier to remove. I generally don’t keep my fresh tomatoes in the freezer though so I will just roughly chop them and not worry about peeling them. The soup is pureed so it doesn’t matter if you leave them on.
Add the tomato paste and water and stir. Add dried oregano and basil. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Cook until vegetables are soft.
Serve hot with a nice French bread or homemade biscuits.
- 1 quart canned tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 small potatoes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 can 156mL tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- In a pot on medium low heat, add the olive oil and diced onions. Stir and cook to soften.
- Chop carrots and potatoes, add to pot.
- Pour in tomatoes (or add chopped fresh ones).
- Add tomato paste and water as well as the dried oregano and basil.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cook until vegetables are soft.
- Once the vegetables are soft, use your hand blender to puree the soup.
- Serve hot.
- You can use store bought canned tomatoes or fresh tomatoes.