A creamy, crunchy coleslaw that is the perfect side dish for every meal.
I have this coleslaw recipe available to eat everyday of the week! I love the crunchy cabbage and carrots, and the sweet onion. Sometimes I will add some apple chunks, raisins, and broccoli florets if I’m feeling fancy. 🙂 Really though this coleslaw is amazing. We like to eat it with almost any barbecue meal in the summer, turkey, fish, you name it I’ve probably had coleslaw with it.
To make my coleslaw I use my food processor. I think it is the easiest way to get the cabbage nice and thinly cut into the long strips that really make a coleslaw.
Once you have the green and purple cabbage sliced, empty into a large serving bowl.Switch blades to the shredder blade and run the carrots through to coarsely shredded them. Add them to the serving bowl.
Add a chopped sweet onion. Toss well.
For the coleslaw dressing I use a mayonnaise buttermilk dressing. Super easy to make. Add 1/2 cup buttermilk and 1/2 cup mayonnaise to a container with a tightly fitted fid. Shake or whisk until incorporated. Add 2 tablespoons vinegar and 2 – 3 tablespoons sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Shake well. Refrigerate at least 3 hours to allow flavours to combine. Pour over coleslaw before serving.
- 2 cups purple cabbage, finely sliced
- 3 cups green cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 cup carrots, coarsely shredded
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- Using the slice blade in a food processor, slice the green and purple cabbage. Empty into a large serving bowl.
- Using the shred blade, shred the carrots. Empty into the serving bowl.
- Add the chopped onion.
- Toss well.
- Add dressing before serving and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 large apple, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli florets