A great meatless option to a hamburger. This black bean quinoa burger is so tasty and healthy everyone is sure to enjoy it!
These black bean quinoa burgers are a fast and easy meal to serve on meatless Mondays. They are made with two of my favourite ingredients – black beans and quinoa. These burgers are vegetarian, loaded with flavour and packed with protein.
I’ve talked about the health benefits of black beans and quinoa before so I’ll just do a quick overview here. Black beans are great sources of protein and dietary fibre. They contain several key vitamins and minerals, such as iron, potassium, and folic acid, which are good for our health. Quinoa has been called a “super food” because of its remarkable nutritional qualities. It is high protein, has a great amino acid balance and loads of vitamin E.
On to the burgers. These can be made in about 20 minutes, and only take about 15 minutes to bake in the oven. Which is what I needed today since I was out most of the day and then at the park with the kids after school, and after the park the kids were asking, “when’s supper?” I have half an hour to get something made.
In a large bowl, add a can of drained black beans. Coarsely mash the beans before you add any other ingredients.
Once the beans are mashed, you can add all remaining ingredients, except the buns. Mix well to combine.
Form into patties. I used a 1/3 cup measuring cup to shape the patties. They really hold their shape well and I left them they way they came out of the cup. If you prefer a flatter burger, you can easily flatten the patty slightly with either the back of the measuring cup or your hand.
Bake in a preheated oven for 12 – 15 minutes.
Serve on a bun with ketchup, a slice of purple onion, fresh spinach, sliced cheese, and sliced tomatoes.
Try serving these with my favourite coleslaw recipe for a complete supper meal.
- 1 can (19 oz/540 ml) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small carrot, finely shredded
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, cook quinoa according to package instructions, set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl add black beans and coarsely mash.
- Add all other ingredients except buns. Stir well.
- Form into patties. I used a 1/3 cup measuring cup to shape the patties. If you prefer a flatter burger, flatten the patty slightly with either the back of the measuring cup or you hand.
- Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 350F for 12 - 15 minutes.
- Serve on a bun with your favourite toppings.
- ketchup, spinach, purple onion slice, tomato slice, and cheese