A fast, easy, healthy fall favourite. This chili has lots of fall vegetables; butternut squash, carrots, and zucchini. Combined with black beans and ground beef, this meal will warm you up on a cold day.
Chili is a fantastic meal to serve in the fall and winter. A warm bowl of a thick and hearty chili full of vegetables, black beans, and ground beef is sure to satisfy everyone at the supper table. The ultimate comfort food. It is fast and easy to prepare, and is ready in under an hour. If you can, let it sit for a couple hours before serving, or make it a day ahead and refrigerate it overnight. This gives the flavours a chance to really come together.
In a large pot or skillet, cook the ground beef on medium high heat until it is no longer pink. Add all the vegetables to the pot and cook on medium heat until the onion is transparent and soft. Stir occasionally.
Add either water or beef broth, can tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the black beans and corn. Stir to combine. Remove from heat and let stand at least 30 minutes before serving. Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese.
Chili does taste even better the next day when the flavours have had a chance to marry.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups butternut squash, chopped (about 1/2 medium squash)
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup corn, frozen thawed
- 1 can (15 oz/ ml) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (28 oz/ 796 ml) tomatoes
- 2 cups water or beef broth
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- In a large skillet or pot, cook lean ground beef on medium high heat until no longer pink.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onion, garlic, butternut squash, carrots, zucchini, and red bell pepper. Cook for 5 - 7 minutes or until the onion is soft. Stir occasionally.
- Add water/broth, can tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Turn heat up to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add black beans and corn. Stir to combine. Remove from heat and let stand for at least 20 - 30 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with shredded cheese before serving.
- As with most chili, this tastes even better the next day.