This recipe is one that my kids love. Elbow pasta and a cheese sauce, with lots of yummy vegetables and ground beef. (Recipe adapted from Looniespoons classics)
Cook elbow pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cool water. Set aside.
In a large non stick skillet add the ground beef and cook until it’s no longer pink. Drain any fat off and return to the skillet. Since I buy the family size packs of ground beef, cook it and freeze meal sized portions, I already have cooked ground beef on hand. I find it is a big time saver for me. Add the vegetables. I include a large onion, a couple of carrots, a zucchini, 5 or 6 cloves of garlic and can of crushed tomatoes. Stir well and add a pinch of Italian seasoning. Turn off the heat but leave on the burner. At the very end I sometimes add broccoli to steam.
While the vegetables are cooking, you can make the cheese sauce.
Reduce the heat to low and add the cheese whiz and parmesan cheese. Whisk until the cheese has melted.
Add the cooked pasta and the sauce to your vegetables in the large skillet. Mix well.
Top with a generous helping of shredded old cheddar cheese. Let stand to melt the cheese.
Sometimes, depending on how much I thicken the sauce, the dish comes out a bit on the soupy side. I found that if you let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours or even over night it helps thicken it up. Either way, it’s a family favourite in my house, and I hope it will be in yours.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15oz can tomatoes, crushed
- 2 cups dry elbow pasta
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cheese whiz
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cook the elbow pasta accroding to package directions. Drain and rinse under cool water. Set aside.
- in a large non stick skillet, add the ground beef and cook until it is no longer pink. Drain any fat and return to skillet. Add the onion, carrots, zucchini, garlic, and crushed tomatoes. Stir well and add a pinch of Italian seasoning. Cook until the vegetables are soft.
- Add broccoli to steam if desired. Cook 5 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, add milk and flour and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium high heat until the milk starts to bubble and thicken.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the cheese whiz and Parmesan cheese. Whisk until the cheese has melted.
- Add the cooked pasta and the cheese sauce to the vegetables in the large skillet. Mix well.
- Top with shredded cheese. Let stand until the cheese has melted. Serve.